Saturday, July 21, 2007

Christ Church, Part VII

By all accounts, I should be on a train headed north to Glasgow. I was looking forward to the eight-hour ride through England's Midlands and North Country, across into Scotland's Borderlands and Lowlands. The weather dictated otherwise. The hard rains and swift winds Oxford experienced on Friday were even harder to the north.

I arrived at the rail station in Oxford by taxi. I quickly learned that rail and coach travel north had been suspended until further notice. Flooding was extensive. Non-essential travel was discouraged. I took another taxi back to Christ Church. With the aid of a very helpful college porter, I made countless calls and discovered that rooms were being booked up rapidly. Unfortunatley, I could stay on at Christ Church. The next week's Oxford Experience was full. No room in the inn there. In time, I got a room at the Macdonald Randolph, a quarter-mile up the street from Christ Church. My rail ticket is good for six months. So, if the rails are above water and clear for tomorrow, I will be on my way. If not, I will sit tight for another day. I was regretting that I was unable to get out to Blenheim to see the Duke of Marlborough's palace, one of England's grandest and most impressive, which is also the birthplace and childhood home of Sir Winston Churchill. That may be my itinerary for tomorrow. If not that, then something else. There are plenty of good plan Bs to take up.

Last night was the farewell dinner in The Hall. Linen, crystal, silver. Dress was formal. It was a multi-course affair: scallops and fish with roe for the first course, pheasant with potatoes and greens for the next, dessert was a lemon and black cherry mousse with a heavy whipped cream topping followed by port wine and chocolate.

That's it for the moment. Peace.

No comments: