Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Christ Church, Part V

Class continues to be engaging and stimulating. Today we took a new approach to character description that moves beyond, "He was a tall dark stranger," to highly metaphorical speech. It took some getting used to. Once I got the hang of it, I liked it. Here's one of mine: "He is a moss-coated stone lodged deep in the mud, a cymbal sounding off beat and out of time." The idea is to show your readers qualities of characters using multi-sensory metaphors rather than telling them informational details about a character.

In the afternoon, I took a bus to nearby Broughton Castle in Banbury, Oxfordshire -- about an hour north of Oxford. The house is a medieval manor house, later transformed into a Tudor mansion. The house is surrounded by a wide moat and parkland. One of the house's early owners, a baron, witnessed King John's signing of the Magna Carta in 1215. The house is also historically significant as a parliamentary rallying place in the 17th century. There are numerous impressive portraits of Oliver Cromwell in the house, which was besieged by the royalists during the English Civil War. The house's walled garden, The Ladies Garden, a full acre in size, is filled with sculpted boxwoods, old rose varieties, herbaceous borders and shrubs. By the way, Lord and Lady Saye and Sele still reside in the house. Today's weather was remarkable -- bright blue sky, billowy white clouds, brilliant sunshine.

This evening I attended Evensong in Christ Church Cathedral. Very high, very formal and very moving. I had never heard four-part choral music sung quite so exquisitely, reverently, and joyfully. The setting, a 14th century cathedral, probably contributed to the worship service's effect on me. The prayers for peace were particularly moving.

Dinner followed worship which, in Anglican fashion I suspect, was followed by a Scottish whisky tasting led by the Steward of Christ Church. I learned a great deal. One of the things that I learned is that whisky is okay, but I couldn't make a habit of it. The gentleman I sat beside, director of the Christ Church Choir, is originally from Scotland. He chided me for not finishing each and every sample as he most certainly did. Doing so would have involved downing no less that eight or more ounces of whisky, which would have been far beyond my tolerance.

That's it for the moment. Peace.

4 comments:

Charlie Owens said...

Hi Dan,
We're keeping up with your sabbatical and it sounds like you are having a great time-go for it! We really enjoy reading what you have to say, it's so interesting. We feel we are there with you and we wish we were!
I have an old pick up truck you may borrow.
Charlie & Judy Owens

Dan McCoig said...

Charlie and Judy:
Great to hear from you. If your truck can get me to and from Williamsburg reliably, I will give you a call when I get back stateside on August 4.
Peace,
Dan

Bethk said...

Hi Dan,
I can tell you are having fun. I have enjoyed reading about all of your adventures. Lauren was quite impressed to hear about your dining location of Monday evening. She is eagerly awaiting the latest Harry Potter book.
Take care
Beth K

Dan McCoig said...

Beth:
Tell Lauren that I was just at Blackwells, which is one of Oxford's, and England's for that matter, best bookstores. It's i the heart of Oxford among all of the colleges. From 11:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. there will be a grand Harry Potter party. At 12:01 a.m., the book will be available for purchase. If it were not for the size of it and having to lug it through Scotland, I would buy it order have the final book, first edition with a Blackwells' stamp.
Peace,
Dan
PS: Tell Laura that Emma Watson is a local girl. Her fellow students at her school in Oxford are instructed not to speak with her about Harry Potter to insure that she will have somewhat of normal life. Watson was discovered locally. She was acting in one of her school plays.