Monday, August 13, 2007

Thoughts on Current Reading

I just finished reading Kevin Lawson's book HOW TO THRIVE IN ASSOCIATE STAFF MINISTRY. The presbytery should require the text for any and all associate staff positions. For the most part, Lawson confirmed for me the reasons why, after more than twelve years now, I still sense a profound call to serve God and neighbors in and through First Church.

For starters, there are the work relationships. Among and within the staff and elders, there is a high level of trust, encouragement, affirmation, and loyalty -- fruits of the Spirit all -- as well as feedback and evaluation. We cooperate rather than compete. What I am concerned about, you are concerned about. What you are concerned about, I am concerned about.

The high value that is placed on each and every ministry, rather than only a few, stands out. There is no unimportant work at First Church. Additionally, First Church's commitment to growth and learning for its leadership -- this sabbatical is a case in point -- and its commitment to people over programs contribute to health and vitality. So too does the church's general openness to new ideas and approaches.

I could go on, I guess. However, I don't want you to feel schmoozed. Nor, do I wish to jeopardize your saintly humility. But I do want you to feel affirmed. I cannot begin to describe how affirmed I feel at the moment. Thank God and thank you.

That's it for the moment. Peace.

PS: Molly and I set out for Boston on Thursday. We have tickets for the weekend's three-game Red Sox homestand against the LA Angels at Fenway. The Sox are on top of the American League East. The Angels are on top of the American League West. We may be witnessing a rehearsal of the 2007 American League Championship Series. In addition to baseball, we will be touring the JFK Library in Boston and Edith Wharton's Berkshire Mountain home, The Mount, in western Massachusetts.

No comments: