Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Shenandoah Pipe School

Three lessons a day plus three hours of practice daily with a workshop thrown in for good measure leaves one with little breathing room, which is important when it comes to the highland bagpipes. I must have an odd Calvinistic gene that compels me to take up pursuits that require disciplining the mind and body alike over a period of years only to fall considerably short of anything that resembles perfection. If only musical grace were as bountiful as spiritual grace. What is gained musically is earned through hard work.

My sight reading continues to need work. My brain recognizes what the notes represent. Getting my fingers to follow along happens sporadically at best. My chanter technique is improving daily. I am still mystified as to how to keep pressure on the bag with my arm, replenish the bag's air with my lungs without passing out, and play a tune in time all at once. The instructors assure me that it comes in time, much like riding a bicycle. Once I have it I will have it. I have to trust them on this. At the moment, it is not apparent.

So far, my small group of students has been introduced to a 4/4 march, a 3/4 retreat march, a 6/8 march, a jig, a reel, and a strathspey. The strathspey is unique to traditional Scottish music. It is music designed with dancers in mind. The unembellished notes are punched, which gives the music its drive. The timing is 4/4, but rhythmically a lot more is going on. The pattern is one of held and cut, cut and held notes that gives so much Celtic music its flavor.

We were also introduced to Piobaireachd [pronounced Pee-brock] music, which is Scottish classical music. Piobaireachd begins with a theme, which is embellished and elaborated upon through the course of numerous movements. Piobreachd tunes fall in the categories of salutes, laments, and gatherings. The laments are particularly attractive and quite haunting. One of the nice features of the Shenandoah Piping School is the daily recitals presented by members of the faculty.

As I pursue piping I have to remind myself that it's the journey rather than the destination that matters most. There are some places with this instrument at which I will never arrive. Admitting to limitations is never easy. However, I plan to keep taking steps forward.

Next week I will be on the Carolina coast with a stack of books by my side. I have not mapped out my reading list exactly. I intend to do so before we set out for the beach on Saturday. When I do I will post it. We will be in South Nags Head between mileposts nineteen and twenty. We are in the phonebook. If you are at the beach and wish to say hello, give us a call. We'd love to see you.

That's it for the moment. Peace.

No comments: